SailNet Community - View Single Post - Centerboard damage.
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012

Tweegs is on a distinguished road
Centerboard damage.

We’d been having issues raising and lowering the CB. Towards the end of this season things got markedly worse. Thought I’d have the folks at the marina drop it at haul out and see what gives. Looks like a lot gave.

Before we pulled the pin, with the CB about ¾ down, I grabbed the leading and aft edges and, without much effort, was able to move it laterally about a foot in each direction and twist it near the same amount. Little wonder we were having problems, not to mention just being slow. All kinds of lift and drag issues there, methinks.

Before haul out, my thought was to drop the board and toss it in the back of my truck. After seeing it I told them to keep it and give me an estimate. It’s beyond my feeble skills to repair.

What looks like rocks and mud in there is broken up resin with a dash of lake scum for seasoning. Lucky for us it didn’t rip clean out of there, wasn’t much left holding things together. It would have been one wild ride if it had; the control cable and line are in remarkably good condition.

We’ve never hit anything or run aground, but there is damage on the leading edge (we are the third owners). Figure that water got in there and the freeze/thaw cycle here on the lakes took its toll.

Not asking for any help here. Everyone has a morbid fascination when it comes to seeing damage, as long as it isn’t theirs.

Just thought I’d share.

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Full View.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-09 09.51.04.jpg (62.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-11-09 09.57.51.jpg (99.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-11-09 09.58.00.jpg (97.9 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook