SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
It's a shame they didn't stick closer to the original design.. and install big manual lift pumps like they used to use on these ships back in the good old days: "Man the pumps!!".. Sure the old-style pumps had blockage issues similar to modern ones, but at least they don't rely on diesel fuel and electrics to work.

Joking aside, safety requirements for most modern yachts dictate a manual bilge pump be fitted - to avoid exactly the scenario quoted above. Is this not the case for something like the HMS Bounty?
Well, I would liked to have a question answered and I am sure it will be answered on the investigation:

In 1998 the main pump was a diesel one and they had two auxiliary electric ones.

Now, for what I understood (by photos taken recently, by a sailor that had visited the boat and even by what was said by Bounty organization) they had the two electrical pumps as main, powered by two generator and some kind of hydraulic pump powered by the engine.

Why was not the main Diesel pump replaced? It was replaced by an hydraulic pump run by the engine? That does not make much sense since a main pup should not be dependent from the ship engine to be powered.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook