SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't need no lessons..just go..
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't need no lessons..just go..

I have been teaching my self. I watch u-tube and I read all the time. I take the s/v East Coast lady out as often as I can. I have sailed a hobi-cat in the past, But this 30 footer aint the same.
Let me tell you what happened to us today. while sailing in the Beaufort river we had an incident with a channel marker. For a bit of orientation, we were north bound. The tide was running with us at 3 knots the wind was off our starboard quarter 10 to 15. There was a sailboat race going on and we were going around it, trying to give them room. So, My sailing partner was driving the boat the pole was to our port side. when we went broadside to the flow of the river the pole came charging right at our port beam. Well I hurried over to that side and grabbed the pole and held us off. It was very hard. I felt like I was not going to hold it at first, but then I told him to turn hard to port and it began to move around the marker. We finely worked free not soon enough. Lesson here was one I don't think a A101 or A102 or any other would have taught us. No one got hurt and we will never forget our experience or our lesson. Keep all fixed markers to the windward side of your beam.
[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook