SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great Bay, NJ and the Great Bay Marina
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Great Bay, NJ and the Great Bay Marina

Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Great Bay Marina, which is right on the bay. I agree with you, the marina near the Viking plant is too far from the bay for me. Were the greenheads and gnats any worse there than OC? I hated the gnats this spring! Once we were under way, it wasn't so bad, but they were brutal at the marina until I got bug spray on! I really liked the back part of Great Egg, it was very quiet. We'd see maybe 8-10 boats in many of the 2-3 hour sails we did. That made it easier for my family to get comfortable, which was good. I am worried about traffic getting to the central and northern parts of Barnegat Bay, plus I have family members with houses in OC and Avalon, that's why I am trying to stay south if I can. I had considered the Tuckerton area on the extreme southern end of BB, but I'm guessing the bugs aren't any different there, and I had hopes that Great Bay would be a little quieter and more protected than Barnegat Bay. Great Bay also seems to have enough water for me most of the time, but so would BB.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 11-11-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook