SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running a portable generator at an angle of heel
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Honda 1000 8 amp per hour
Honda 2000 13.3 amp per hour
Chef,

I believe what you are referring to are the AC amp load capabilities for sustained use. Converted to DC you can get a heck of a lot more than 8 Ah's or 13.3Ah's out of a Honda 1000 or 2000.. There is a difference between saying "amps" and "ah's" or "amps per hour"..

The 1000 watt or (8.3A) and 2000 watts or (16.7A) are not continuous duty ratings for these generators. One of those "read the fine print" deals manufacturers get you with... For the EU1000 it's rated at 900W AC (7.5A) and for the EU2000 it is rated at 1600W AC (8.3A) continuous duty.. I know my EU2000 will shut down on over temp running 7.9A - 8.0A continuous so I suspect the 8.3A is a best case scenario +/-...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Electramax alternator 80 amo. 60 amps per hour

The Electromaax is already rated in DC current and when hot your 80A unit can likely pump out 60A all day long. If you run it for an hour at 60A you have replaced 60Ah's to your bank. It is an 80A rated unit not 80Ah rated... I know, confusing......

Off an EU2000 you can run upwards of an 80A AC charger, depending upon how efficient it is. This would give you 80Ah's if you ran it for an hour but it wold be an 80A charger....

What ever you do don't use the DC output on these to try and charge batteries. They are as useless as tits on a bull... If you are going to run one of these, and create the sound pollution, you might as well maximize the DC charging by installing the largest AC powered battery charger the generator can handle.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-11-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook