SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stuffing box & grease fittings
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012

Kenn43 is on a distinguished road
Re: Stuffing box & grease fittings

Copacabana,

Thank you. You're the man. From looking at your pictures, it looks like the setup you have functions the same as the grease fitting I have on the male part (stern) of my stuffing box. Yours is the first (and only) example I have seen of this arrangement (except for mine). Now I know I can, and should, keep this fitting greased. I am using a marine grade grease I purchased at an auto store. Hope this is adequate.

Gene T and Capt Len,

My stuffing box was getting hot to the point if I touched it I could not keep my finger on the box for more than a second or two (no smoke though). I put two shots of grease in the grease fitting discussed above and motored for about a half hour or so. The fitting barely got warm to the touch. The water drip is minimal if any. I used a remote laser temperature gauge to measure the temp of the fitting and at any point on the fitting the temp I recorded was about 40*C (105*F).

Hopefully nothing has been damaged at this point because of my inexperience. Now I need to find out how much grease to use and how often to grease the fitting. I want to thank everyone for helping me through this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook