SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stuffing box & grease fittings
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Stuffing box & grease fittings

Kenn, I just continued using the same grease that the previous owner had been using. Since he was the one who installed the thing (and he is a very experienced cruiser) I just followed his lead. All grease is "waterproof" in the sense it doesn't dissolve in water. I think that white "nautical" grease will eventually cake up inside the stuffing box. Wherever I've used the stuff it eventually ends up as a crusty white paste. Since the grease is really just to lubricate the shaft and stuffing (and fill any voids where water could accumulate) I don't see why it has to be waterproof nautical grease.

My sense is that if you install a grease gun like mine, it will deliver the grease under pressure, eventually pushing it through the flax rings and out the shaft (like in the photo). In this case, I can't see the use for the other grease nipple. My grease gun is really simple- it's a cylinder with a threaded cap with an 0-ringed "plunger" inside. You keep turning the "T" on top, forcing the grease down through the hose and into the stuffing box. I'm sure the grease gun is available and not uncommon. It's made of bronze which might mean it is a "marine" thingy. Start at a truck/tractor shop and see if they have a similar one. I think the grease should be delivered under pressure so it penetrates the stuffing box.

Last edited by copacabana; 11-12-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook