SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe

First big option in what regards the weather:

Today will likely see the first real strategic choices needing to be made and the question is where the fleet will split. A small but active depression is forming to the NW of the fleet and is well established to the NE of the Azores by Tuesday afternoon and evening. This offers the opportunity to get west, accepting the first tax of having some initial brisker upwind conditions but subsequently there is the obvious benefit of fast sailing in 25kt NW’ly winds at the back of the low And in general west usually is best

It seems that half of them are going to one side (near Canaries) and the other by the other side (more near Açores).

I would beat on near Canaries: Less pressure but more favorable winds. I guess that is because I would not like to go close to the wind in 20, 25K winds for several days and I guess that on more clement conditions you will get less tired and more able to drive the boat at 100%.

Check out the weather button on the upper left to see what I mean. It seems François Gabart is choosing what I would chose. One more reason to like the guy Vicent Riou, the veteran that is second seems to have choose the other option. It will be interesting

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook