View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Re: Cleaning Hull in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Do tell. Since I only need supplemental pressure to maybe 7 feet below the surface, perhaps I could cheapen up the compressor and save more.
I don't ever recommend going cheap on the compressor, but plenty of guys do it. You can get away with the cheapest Chinese-made crap if you want to.

You major concern is using an oil-less compressor. I wouldn't go with one that generated less than 3/4 horsepower, whether it be gas or electric powered. You also want Grade-E breathing hose. While you may be OK buying the Home Depot $99 special for your compressor, you DO NOT want to use pneumatic tool hose to breathe from. Your best best is probably to buy your air hose and 2nd stage regulator from an online hookah retailer. That way you know the hose is suitable and the regulator is designed to be used with a hookah rig. Not all off-the-shelf 2nd stages will work well when subjected to the lower air pressures generated by a hookah (as opposed to being used with a tank.) Plus, the air hose you buy from a hookah retailer will have an in-line filter, something that might problematic to try to do yourself.

But most importantly- you should be SCUBA certified before ever breathing compressed air underwater.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook