SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012

eric-the-red is on a distinguished road
Re: My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted

Hey everyone, thanks for the great replies, thoughtful insights and links! Please keep them coming!

To answer some of the questions:

I could touch the principle, but every time I do it reduces my annual "income" and shortens how long I can get away with not working. Obviously I will do it when/if needed.

I could also work another year. And then another, and be 50 before I know it. Another year would basically see another $35-45k in savings, so that would still not get me to $15k/ year. Or I can go sooner and see how it goes. There's a slim chance I may wait an extra year anyway, it all depends on how well I pull off this last big project I'll be working on.

I'm certainly open to the occasional odd job to make ends meet. The concept of transporting boats or doing some chartering is very appealing, though I know I'll need a license to do so.

I'm not interested in living the life of a pauper w/ a great view, but I'm also not thinking I'll be tying up in a ton of marinas and eating at fancy restaurants. I like cooking and fishing.

As for the Moody's - yes, I'd be very interested to know what you've found on the east coast. I've seen them for about $80k and figured there's room to negotiate. I may also look at smaller, newer boats. But I do like the Moody's quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook