SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Vendee Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This is a great video, Paulo. Thanks.

1. Can you tell me more about this boat and the captain?
2. He did not tether at all when sailing solo and walking around on the deck
3. What are those two side wing posts for? They both seem attach to the foot of the mast.
Sure. The boat is a 2007 one, deigned by Finot/Conq, and had already made one Vendee Globe with Armel Le Cléac’h, finishing second.

Archives Yachts - Multiplast

Bertrand de Broc is the skypper and had already entered two times (1992 and 1996) on this race, being forced to retire on both occasions. On the last one he raced the boat most the keel and capsized only two days before completion of the circumnavigation

I and many others still remember those incredible images of him stitching his own tongue in the middle of the Indian Ocean after being badly hit by the boom

It is not really a top racer in the class and has not any victories (some podiums) but has some impressive victories in crew races namely the very difficult and highly considered Tour de France: Victories in 2004 and 1998. It is also a Figaro racer and has 2 second places and a third on Transats, the last one in 2010. Of course, it is a hell of a sailor, as most, if not all, these guys are.

Regarding this edition he had to come back after hitting a boat at the start of the race, repaired and is on again, after losing 12 hours. It is the last but I believe not for much time

Regarding the movie, yes Open60 at speed are incredible boats and it seems incredible that one lonely guy can control such amount of power.

This is Marc on Safran, the guy that had already to retire after losing the keel. He should be devastated.

Those two poles give more support to the mast since the angle of the shrouds is much larger and regarding being tethered, they use it when they consider the weather is bad but I guess that bad weather for then is not what is for us bad weather

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-12-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook