SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4-108 Fuel Injector Pump Leak
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4-108 Fuel Injector Pump Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrappes View Post
I noticed the smell of diesel in my boat a few weekends back so I got shopping around. I found a house clamp on the diesel return line was broken so I replaced it. I ran the engine for a while and didn't see any leaks.

This weekend I ran the engine for a while and when I went below immediately smelled diesel again. I found what looked to be a few leaks around the fuel pump but due to access it took a while to figure out this was from the top of the pump around the throttle I believe.

I was reading around and it was suggested that this might be caused by a blocked return line so I pulled the line off and put a wire through it. Seemed like I hit a block once that I pushed through. I started the diesel and the line ran free and when I reconnected it to the tank it appeared that the fuel injector wasn't leaking as much.

So now I'm wondering about the difficulty and any problems involved in replacing the seals/gaskets on this hydraulic pump. Does anyone have some guidance on this?
An injector shouldn't be leaking at all. Regarding the Injection Pump, you might want to read through this thread: DIY Injection Pump Rebuild - Cruisers & Sailing Forums . Its a bit long but filled with information. Also, check your oil for level and particularly for evidence of fuel contamination.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook