SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great day, Bad Day
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006

Mick Young is on a distinguished road
Wink Great day, Bad Day

Hi All. Yesterady my partner and I had a great day and a bad day.
The forecast was for 10-15 knots increasing to 20 in the afternoon, being not very experienced sailors we decided that we would go out in the morning and come back as the winds increased. We have been out with others who have more expirence and done it easy in those sort of conditions so we were confident we could cope mand did so easily. The 21' trailer sailor came off the trailer really easy Amazing wht an extra foot further down the ramp will do), we st out of the channel in light winds ran wing on wing successfully down the bay and had a ball.
That was the good part. The wind started to increase and we did the right thing and started to head back. Unfortunately we had a 2 hour beat back into the wind. The navigation was pretty much spot on, having checked the gps when we got back the track shows us doing the right stuff all the way home.
The bad stuff. The crew didnt stow her handbag properly and when we were busy beating back into the wind we didnt notice it had fallen onto the floor. This is the first time that we had sailed so fast back into 1/2 meter swells and tehy had pounded up into the drop keel well and the water came up through the slot. Thsi had happened before but never to the extent that when we got home I bucketed 15 2 gallon buckets out of the bottom.

Good stuff? learnt to put the trailer an bit further back, 4 1/2 hurs good sailing, good navigation, top speed of 7.11 knots and averaged 4.72 knots. My partner was happy to have the boat healing over a bit further before she eased the sheet and even pulled it in when she was comfortable again.

Bad stuff? bucketing out all the water because there is no seal in the well, and 1 dead mobil phone. They dont seem to like sea water for some reason.

Keep it black side down

Mick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook