SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted

For Eric:

I think you are probably fine on the $10k per year. It's not a lot. Many are on three times that amount and quite impoverished.
But if you stay in Mexico and the Caribbean it's fine. Good life and can be cheap.

I doubt you'd need $30 k to outfit a boat. Whadda ya gunna do? Put a jacuzzi on it? You would be better IMHO to pay more for a fully fledged boat... The $70k mark is good to get a vastly more modern boat... Maybe ex charter from the Carib. Start there, perhaps.

If your idea is to escape and doodle about the coast doing overnighters and gunk holing for 5 to 10 years in South America and the Caribbean you do not have to outfit for ocean passages.

I agree you don't need insurance. You wouldn't get it for solo sailing anyway.
Medical insurance is the same. As soon as you are out of the USA medical prices plummet. I got a sun cancer cut out of my back in St Martin by a proper surgeon for the price of a consultation in the USA. And if you really get sick you go to panama or Cuba, lots of cheap, GOOD, places.

The only drawbacks to your plan is its no escape. If you are running away from life you will fail as life is all around. If you are rushing to "find yourself" you can do that at home.
Also as a 40 year old intelligent, single person, you may find cruising in a sea of old people, with little mental stimulation, to be BOOOOOORING after a few years.

So make sure you have a plan (that bulltwaddle: " we have no plan and are sticking to it" is a recipe for dementia.) that's going to challange you and your intellect. It could be history, geography, whatever, but it must be something.

Mark

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-12-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook