SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too Much, Too Soon?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerralTheSeeker View Post
Understood - and that's what I meant to write but I'm getting old.

On Friday, I took out a Catalina 22 with the taller mast (now THAT was much more fun - I was hauling a** in that boat with the great winds we had on Pensacola Bay).............I'm wondering if this Catalina 22 configuration (1985) doesn't allow it to slow down enough the first time to prevent the heading-up/tacking motion on the first try.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it sounds like you are chasing your tail. If you follow the instructions I gave earlier, the tack should scrub most boat speed, and the main should be eased SLIGHTLY to Leeward (not "all the way out") Too much, and the Main AND the back winded head sail are taking you downwind! The main needs to be close hauled, and rudder in proper position to head the boat upwind, while the BW head sail takes the boat off the wind. Read about it in a sailing book so you understand the concept of balancing the sails and rudder, or get an instructor to show you (not all boats will heave to by BTW). In any event, I would stop worrying about heaving to for now. Go sailing, learn the boat, get MOB drills down pat, and come back to heaving to after you have some time on the water. Heaving To is handy, but not the most important maneuver, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook