SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

help me with my hull to deck joint!!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jaymckay 
#1 ·
Its moldy , I cleaned it ,
Edges are thin and sceptical but chainplates are sound structurally decent
I want to insulate or something thinking pink panther stuffed angled in the corner with crown molding??? Any opinions help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
On a previous boat all the deck joint hardware was hidden behind a sort of Valance hung from the underside of the deck, blocking the view of that unsightly area but not blocking access.. It seemed to work for us. It was a teak plywood strip screwed into a cleat pieces screwed into the underdeck.

A coat of paint would clean that up too and make it not seem so 'obvious'.. doing both would ease the occasional 'glimpse' you'll get behind the valance. I like Interlux's 'bilgekote' for that kind of work.

Something like this:

#4 ·
Faster thanks! I have the pieces you talk about but they are warped and old.. ill save them as templates and just have to do the same thing but with newer teak... except my pieces were completely blocked and screwed in. I had to remove them to see this. and to clean the mold.. ahh the joy of a good ole boat

#5 · (Edited)
You do NOT want to put fiberglass insulation (pink panther) up into the space behind your valance or "crown moulding". It will soak up moisture and turn into a mold-generating, rot-spreading wick of horrible proportions. If you have to insulate, use a closed-cell foam of some type (the blue styrofoam, for example) that doesn't absorb moisture and which can be shaped to a close fit. Remember that you may need to get at the hull-deck joint again later - perhaps to track a leak or re-bed a stanchion - so don't glue stuff in there either. Perhaps you can put a screw through the valance every here & there to hold the foam in place. If you don't like the color of the insulation you may be able to paint the side that shows. (Watch out- some paints will dissolve foam!) Looks like you have enough to keep you busy until August or September, anyway. Enjoy!

#6 ·
P.S. Crown moulding would be an incredible bear to install because of the rolling bevels you'd have to put in on both the top and bottom edges. Nothing in a boat is flush, plumb, or level. Plus, there's not much to attach it to, and you'd need to make it removeable for access to the joint. The valance is the way to go if simple painting doesn't do the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.