SailNet Community - View Single Post - the next chapter
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

realfstkid is on a distinguished road
the next chapter

Thought I might as well say hello. I have been creeping on this site for a few months. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan, but I will be separating from the military when I get back to the states in a few weeks. Nothing lined up for a job yet, but lots of options. I'm really just excited to be free to wander, and wander I will.

I used to own a sailboat (21' clipper marine swing keel) on a lake in Texas and sailed it around on my own on weekends. Never learned from anyone how to sail properly, just sort of taught myself from reading a book or two. My boating experience is limited, but I am an extremely strong swimmer (collegiate water polo), and very comfortable in/on the water. I'd say the best part of sailing for me is traveling for the sake of the journey, not the arrival.

I've got some friends who have taken sailing lessons to cruise around the bay on weekends, but I'm more interested in talking with live-aboards and long-haul cruisers. I see sailing as more of a lifestyle than a hobby. I frequently check the crew wanted section of the forum to see what is out there. Soon to be funemployed (I've saved money), I'm looking to see if I can find some trips where people need an extra hand and don't require any sailing experience. As a pilot for the past few years, I'd love to trade stories from the air for those at sea.

Christian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook