SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib & Genoa Roller Furling
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Jib & Genoa Roller Furling

I am interested in creating a easy and quick method of rigging a 100% Jib without removing my 150% Genoa from my roller furling, on a sloop rig.

Wind picks up, you have your two small kids on board and you want to ease the weather helm. Reefing in the 150% Genoa to 100% is possible but poor sail shape plus you are running with a lighter sail fabric creating damage and un-nesseccary wear on the sail which you use most of the summer in light air.

I guess I could always remove the 150% prior to going out to sail but looking for a different option, if possible.

I read that providing a inner jibstay with a highfield lever requires some engineering and would also require additional support with the foredeck to allow the forces to be absorbed. Thoughts on this is it would be expensive, does not suite within the design of our sailboat and perhaps a overkill from what I am looking to achieve.

I also read that you can incorporate a wire within the luff, haul up the jib with the wire attached via spare jib halyard, attached the jib tack to the genoa roller furling tack and provide tension. This seems like a easy good method.

Any thoughts on this concept?

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook