SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge pump non return valve.
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
BUT: I had never thought of doing what Hartley suggests:

"install it high up near the discharge point - not in the bilge with the pump itself"

In that case, you do NOT have the water column keeping the valve stuck in closed. That seems to me the smart way to do it (why didn't I think of that?).

Next time I have a chance, I will try that on my installation.
Won't that still keep the column of water in the hose as the valve will create vacuum as the water tries to drain out of the hose?

I have check valves on my lines, but I use two pumps with impellers and they have enough force to push the column of water out. Still, after this thread I am going to replace them with vented loops as I want better reliability.

My plan is to as close to the pump as possible, and try to get the loop as high as I can. My outlets are right below the hull/deck joint, and I'm not entirely sure I can get the vented loops that high... is that going to be an issue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook