SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
So you may feel you scare people into your opinion but you don't scare me.-MarkseaofLife
Now you attributing motives to me...how weird when you dont know me. Hahah..I am trying to scare you?????. No I am not

Quote:
I go back to a previous statement that you felt you needed to deride. Don't play in Northers or rages, hurricanes, wind against current, Cape a hatteras or the Gulf StreamMarkseaoflife
If you carefully read you will see I agree with this. On many other of my posts over the years I have warned of the same consequences around Hatteras. I have been extremely cautious personally and have taken the ICW route around Hatteras execopt for the 3 Carribean 1500 ( outside the GS) and a couple of deliveries I have made south to Florida/ Georgia. As the crew on the deleiveies I would have bailed off the trip had I felt there was not enough of a weather window to make it around through Diamond Shoals safely.

It is common sense what you have said about sailing into hurricanes, northern winds agains the north moving Gulf Stream, blah blah blah..we get your drift.

Most experienced blue water sailors know that entering an inlet where tide or current against wind will create exaggerated conditions. Sailing in the Plum Gut/ Race/ Watch Hill Passage from the LI Sound for instance for 12 hours a day puts you in a wind against cureent situation and will lead to steeper waves, So will inlets, Delaware Bays as just a few examples....so what. It doesnt mean they are not traversable. People wait for a weather window to cross to the Bahamias again common knowledge as they are waiting for no northern component to the wind. So what you state sir is the obvious...we know it so why would anyone including me dispute that.

And sailing in a hurricane is a ridiculous unecessary risk of life whether he was in, near or a million miles away from the Gulf Stream.

Quote:
I will keep saying it till its driven through the skulls of all cruiser-sMarkofsealife
Mission accomplished,Maybe time to find another mantra.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-13-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook