SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted

I'm notorious for pushing the limit's. Those of you who have not been absolutly broke and homeless are quite naturally, deathly afraid of it. When I was 28 after 10 years of living aboard and cruising, I sold the boat and traveled around with a jungle hammok, Flew to Guatemala and hitch hiked to Bellingham Washington and back to The key's, staying mostly in National Forest's. I ate peanut butter sandwich's and macaroni with hot dogs cut up in at at catholic and methodist churches from Portland to Austin. I worked day labour and washed dishes. Could I travel like that with a wife and two small childeren? ofcourse not. Could I cruise and live aboard like I do with a family, absolutely not. For Eric the red, his intro years are best served doing like Brian say's, gunk holing around the soft bottom and tranquil forgiving water's of S.W. Fla. Near boat yards and services. shaking down himself and the boat. Then push off from there. You want to go through that learning curve on your own and put the girl and what next on board once you've mastered some of the essential skills, and added and subtracted the essential equipment. My engine died forever well after I did'nt need it anymore. My pressure pump died after I figured a pump up bugsprayer makes a better shower and you can do most of your washing in the clear clean Caribbean waters. My fancy dinghy died right about the time I needed the excersise of paddling anyway's. My main sail blew out right before I found that used sail company in Sarasota. My whisker pole broke right after I found out a closet pole and a rolling hitch was easier to deploy. Some one stole my 25 pound danforth while I was using it right after I deployed the 45 pound CQR and 100 of 5/8 chain. THE SHAKE DOWN. get it off me, get it off me. Like when Bernard M. cut the drogue he was dragging in the roaring forties and found Joshua handled better with out it.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-13-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook