SailNet Community - View Single Post - potable water systems
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: potable water systems

Hello,

Some quick questions:
-Is there a 12volt water pump or just a foot pump?
-Is there a water heater?

Either way, before you do anything you need to know what works and what doesn't. I would add a little water to the tank and then just find out. If the water pump works and you get the system pressurized and there are no leaks then you are mostly good to go. Just clean the tank (see below) and have at it. If the water pump doesn't work or it works but you have leaks it gets more complicated. How much time and money are you willing to spend?

My boat has 2 water tanks, water heater, 12V water pump, expansion tank, etc. All I use the water for is washing (dishes, hands, etc.). You certainly can use a water jug for that, but, if your water system works, that will be must easier.

Cleaning the tank:
Does the tank have an inspection port? If so, open it, and use a sponge to scrub as much of the inside of the tank as possible. I would use a little (like 3-4 drops) of dish soap with a few gallons of water. Clean the tank(s) as best as possible, then drain into the bilge (don't use the water pump). Then fill the tank with about half full and add a capful or two of bleach. Let sit for an hour, then use the water pump and run some water through all the faucets. Let sit for another hour, then drain, rinse, fill and enjoy.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook