SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cleaning Hull in the water
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Cleaning Hull in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Bleach. It's hard to know who to believe anymore, as most decide first, then look for evidence.

I have to admit, the Livestrong article seems low on scientific reference and quickly jumps to dioxins. While pointing out that bald eagles were nearly decimated by dioxins, being an article on bleach are we to believe that bleach killed the bald eagles? It also refers to bleach being a chemical weapon, but it did need to be combined with other chemicals, which was left out. Charcoal becomes gunpowder if you mix it with other chemicals. I'm still happy to have charcoal around.

If I were to guess, because its all we are usually left to do with environ issues anymore, bleach toxicity to the environment is most likely a function of concentration. Personally, I would never pour it straight into the water, but I can't say I know why.
The dioxin that was killing the eagles was the effluent of pulp mills - 10's of thousands of gallons being dumped regularly. Howe Sound, where I live is a long, deep fjord and was virtually devoid of life a number of years ago for this very reason. Once the dumping stopped the sea life returned in abundance in a short time.

Using a little bleach on a boat ain't quite the same thing - it DOES evaporate and break down in sunlight very quickly.

This is just another case of environmental absolutism IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook