SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
.. He was the captain...he had many years experience...just because he didnt have or didnt apply for a Commercial captains liscence didnt mean that his responsibility to his crew and others was any different. I agree you would think that the BOounty Captain would have an icreased awareness due to his formal liscening and training.

One lesson we may learn from this is that even though we have formal liscensing in place for commercial vessals, that does not mean that a mistake in judgement ... is even less likely to occur. The formal training and experience should minimize the possibilities of this mistakes, buut as we have seen humans are fallible and make mistakes even if they have best of intentions.

Dave
Dave,it seems to me that there are a contradiction in what you say :

You say "One lesson we may learn from this is that even though we have formal liscensing in place for commercial vessals, that does not mean .... a mistake in judgement ... is ... less likely to occur".

and then you say:

"The formal training and experience should minimize the possibilities of this mistakes..."

Unless you think that formal training, the one that separates a licensed Captain able to operate commercial ships from an amateur captain (of his own boat) without any licence, will not contribute to a better and more informed judgement and therefore a lesser probability of mistakes, what you say is contradictory.

In fact you say:

" I agree you would think that the BOounty Captain would have an icreased awareness due to his formal liscening and training. "

and yes, in fact I think like that but the question here is : and you think also like that?

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook