SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib & Genoa Roller Furling
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Jib & Genoa Roller Furling

A few random thoughts in no particular order :

I find the worst case for the genoa's shape is furled slightly. I find it is best to either not furl it, or furl it a lot - say down to 50%. This results in less belly for high winds. Intermediate settings result in a big belly.

If you regularly encounter winds that need a smaller jib, it's best just to switch to one. My boat sails very well in lighter winds with a 100% - and it's good up to 25 kts. You don't gain as much going from 100 to 150% as you might think. The main benefit is downwind in light winds.

So for SF Bay I consider the best setup to be a 100% jib, main with at least 2 reefs, and a gennaker for downwind runs when the wind is light.

In summer when it's really blowing, the 100% comes down and the 83% goes up. That sail is still great upwind, but is not so good off the wind. Then you really need the gennaker for the downwind sheltered bits.

Finally I consider the extra inner forestay with storm jib hanked on to be a great solution. You see it a lot around here on the heavier cruisers.