SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
You say "One lesson we may learn from this is that even though we have formal liscensing in place for commercial vessals, that does not mean .... a mistake in judgement ... is ... less likely to occur".

and then you say:

"The formal training and experience should minimize the possibilities of this mistakes..."

Unless you think that formal training, the one that separates a licensed Captain able to operate commercial ships from an amateur captain (of his own boat) without any licence, will not contribute to a better and more informed judgement and therefore a lesser probability of mistakes, what you say is contradictory.

In fact you say:

" I agree you would think that the BOounty Captain would have an icreased awareness due to his formal liscening and training. "

and yes, in fact I think like that but the question here is : and you think also like that?

Regards

Paulo
OK no confusion in me. Lets put the words together

Quote:
"The formal training and experience should minimize the possibilities of this mistakes..."
and then we MAY learn

Quote:
"One lesson we may learn from this is that even though we have formal liscensing in place for commercial vessals, that does not mean .... a mistake in judgement ... is ... less likely to occur".

What it means maybe our assumption is wrong that formal liscecing does not mean less mistakes in judgement....*( maybe what we are requiring in the formal lisceincing has no bearing on judgement decisions).

For instance one part of the liscencing requirement is the number of hours required. As Minnie has said ( and I agree), if that prior experience has risking the vessel and surviving in two other hurricanes led him to feel no vulnerability and risk it again because he had success before. In this case his experience would work against him, leading to a fasle sense in scurity mistake in judgement . There fore even though you would think the formal liscence would be better, in this case it would not be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook