SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boy killed by lightning in our anchorage, what would you do?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

Flatballer is on a distinguished road
Since I have some experience here I'll throw my two cents in. I was on a boat struck by lightning. Cruiser, connected to shore power, well grounded boat. Standing in companionway watching storm. There hadn't been lightning. Next thing I knew I was laying on the cabin sole. Not sure if I jumped or fell. Someone across the ICW in a house thought I was dead because I just stayed down below, they sent the Marina person down, thinking they were gonna find a body. It vaporized the VHF antenna on the mast, the SSB and VHF died, the little lightning thing on the mast was gone. Everything else was fine. Witnesses say it was a direct strike on the mast. All I know is it was the loudest thing I've ever heard. I'll take a well grounded boat any day over being anywhere else. Even though it's the tallest thing around and presents a good path to ground, it's a great place to be.

I'm an EE and I'll tell you we still know very little about lightning. We still can't even figure out which direction it goes or what really causes it, much less how to prevent it.

Shame about the death. I'd recommend staying in the boat and on the water.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook