SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Elan 400

We have already posted about the Elan 400 and even compared it with the previous model. I have said that the boat had to be lighter, even if they didn't gave the weight, on account of the smaller sail area. Now they had given more information and yes, the boat is lighter with 7500 kg, considerably lighter than the previous model (8300kg) but I was hoping for an even lighter boat.

That is a similar weight to the Salona 41 (7450 kg) that is half a meter longer. Not very impressive, however the ballast ratio is a good one, with a B/D ratio of 33%. That, a torpedo keel and 2,40m of draft will make it a very powerful boat. In fact I believe that the ballast they give is not the one for the 2.4 draft keel, otherwise the ballast ratio would be 36% and not 33%.

Specifications Elan 400
LOA (hull length) 11.95 m
Total length 11.95 m
LWL (length at waterline) 11.26 m
Width 3.87 m
Draft Standard 2.40 m
Weight 7.5 t
Ballast / share 2.7 t / 33%
Mainsail 51.56 sq.m.
Genoa (107%) 37.6 sqm
Gennaker 135 sq.m.
Motorization 40 hp
CE design category A (ocean)

The boat is, like the other Elan, a Rob Humphreys Yacht Design & Elan Design Team and has an interesting stability curve with an AVS over 120º but most of all with an huge righting moment at 90º of heel, almost the same RM the boat is doing at 20º:

http://www.elan-yachts.com/img/yacht...lity_curve.pdf

The speed polar is also a nice one, but I guess that about the real speed we will only know or in the race course or through the ORCI file.

http://www.elan-yachts.com/img/yacht...ar_diagram.pdf

The interior seems to be a plain one but comfortable:

I guess I will have a better idea when I see the boat in Dusseldorf

Some would say that this boat is just a bigger Elan 350 and I guess they will be wrong. This boat is a very different boat in what regards hull design and particularly B/D ratio that is much bigger on this boat. This is a much better overall boat and probably a slightly worst downwind boat.

Take a look at the Transom design and the water line regarding the two boats. Can you see the difference?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook