SailNet Community - View Single Post - More head room
Thread: More head room
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
More head room

My 1st season with my rebuilt 1977 Luger Tradewinds was a great success. Now that she's on the hard for the winter I'm thinking more about something I was going to do last year but ran out of time. The boat originally had a camper top that gave my main cabin an extra 18 inches or so. It didnt come with the boat so I was thinking about adding to the boat where the canvas would have been. I have all the materials set aside and was planning on making the forward facing "bulkhead" bump up from 3/8" lexon. The sides would be made from 1/2" thick vinyl sheeting on the exterior and 3/4" plywood on the inside covered with carpet matching the rest of the ceilings in the boat. I would also add fixed windows to the side pannels made of 1/4" lexon. I already planned on making a new main hatch so making it a little taller wont be a problem. Just wondering if anyone has any reasons why I shouldnt do this. the only negatives I can see is it will add about 100 pounds of weight to the top of my boat. It will also make it a little harder to see directly in front of the boat but otherwise it dosnt seem like a bad Idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheektowaga-20120521-00518.jpg (37.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Cheektowaga-20111016-00135 (2).jpg (32.8 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook