SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel Fix help
Thread: Keel Fix help
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Keel Fix help

So this year, after the haul and power wash of my Keel, some "barrier" came off. Actually looks like some of it came off some time during the season while the boat was in the water as there was some barnacle growth directly on the lead in a small area. I don't recall hitting anything nor grounding

I have had this happen before in smaller areas, but not this large. I chip away the loose material and it resembles gel coat or filled epoxy paint (white cross section) but underneath there was some red thin paint film. The cipped stuff is about 1/16" (2 mm) thick.

The keel is bolted on, not encapsulated in that respect, but the "plastic covering" is not super well bonded to the lead.

Would like to fix this more permanently than having it keep chipping off in areas. The problem with this location is it is on the leading edge of the keel. Picture here:

Keel Mess

The boat is a Pearson 10M if that gives you clue on what the material is.

My approach to was to:

1) peel the loose stuff back to a clean bonded area.
2) rough up the lead and paint on unfilled epoxy or barrier coat
3) while #2 is tacky, put on thickened epoxy, or epoxy saturated glass cloth and smooth to contour
4) final contour after full set with sanding.
5) thin layer of sealing epoxy.
6) Ablative paint.

If this isn't a good approach, what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DrB; 11-13-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook