SailNet Community - View Single Post - Changing registered flag from Spain to UK
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

Mariner62 is on a distinguished road
Re: Changing registered flag from Spain to UK

Well the deal is done and dusted, and my new ship is safely tucked away on the hardstand at the Marina awaiting my return in the spring.

Things didn't quite play out as planned (do they ever ??), but we stayed flexible and retained a sense of humour :-)

Firstly it turned out that the broker we had spoken with had no representation in Cadiz, so the owner showed us over the boat last Monday afternoon after we arrived in Spain. That worked perfectly, and the owner who is Swiss and his wife who is German had clearly looked after the boat superbly. She is a 2005 Beneteau 423 with less than 500 hours on the engine and less than 1800 miles on the log. We wanted to continue ...

We asked to survey and test sail the vessel on Tuesday. We had been trying to line up a surveyor, but could not get one to attend at the right time, for a reasonable fee, who could speak reasonable English. So we decided to do it ourselves.

The owner tried to contact the broker by phone and email, but no response, so he agreed himself to do the test sail with us at lunchtime Tuesday and organised the slipping for us with the Marina on Tuesday afternoon. He allowed us to have the keys first thing on Tuesday morning.

So on Tuesday morning I checked out all the technical and structural items while my first mate (wife) checked out the domestic side of things. Ticks all round. Test sail with the owner - tick. Slipped and inspected the hull and underwater gear - hull a bit grubby - needs antifouled, but otherwise ... tick.

So on Tuesday afternoon, we announce to the owner "we would like to buy your boat !" Unfortunately the owner still can't get in contact with the broker, so we decide to do it ourselves. (DIY ... there's a theme building here !)

Wednesday - I write my own "Contract to Buy a Yacht", stitch in a couple of Attachments to cover the inventory and a suitable Bill of Sale with a side by side Spanish translation. All thanks to Google's translation facility, corrected slightly by the rather bemused girl at Reception. Apparently Spanish terminology for "unencumbered" can be easily confused with pregnancy!!

Thursday we agree the fine details with the owner and make contact with a local agency who can assist us with the paperwork for deregistration and the Hoja de Asiento etc.

Friday, the owner runs the contract past his lawyer, who made no changes (unheard of in my world) and we agree the contract paperwork. Paperwork delivered to the agency, who showed me a clear title extract and VAT paid evidence. Translated with Google again !

Weekend - first mate and I take a side trip to Gibralter while the owner empties the boat. We meet on Sunday night to sign up the contract, bill of sale and organise the funds to be transferred to the owner.

Monday - organised insurance, organised storage at the marina, bought some new stuff, met with agency to inspect the application to deregister in Spain. Prepared boat for slipping.

Tuesday - slipped boat, cleaned hull, dropped sails etc and generally made ready for winterisation (if that's what you call it in Cadiz !). Collected stamped copy of application to deregister - so job done.

Now we just have to escape from Spain - and with the general strike planned for tomorrow this could be very difficult !!!

Happy sailing to all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook