SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shrink Wrap recommendations & rates
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Shrink Wrap recommendations & rates

12.00 foot is a bargain IF DONE RIGHT.. Most don't do it right and cut corners. If this is mast up that is an even better deal....

Rule #1 for areas that expect snow, GOOD PITCH. The center point on this ridge pole is nearly 7' off the deck. This cover never retained snow and shed all of it. Also take note of the "knee" supports for the upright support poles where they meet the ridge pole. This helps keep the ridge pole from "leaning"...

Rule #2 This is an area where MOST shrink wrappers cut corners and is perhaps the most critical part to get right.. A perimeter board and then cross ties at or close to each stanchion. This prevents any snow load from compressing or bending the stanchions inward and creates a solid perimeter for a more even "shrink" with less sags, dips and low spots to catch and retain snow.

Here you have visual of the pitch, perimeter and cross ties from inside:

Rule #3 NEVER shrink wrap over painted finishes.. It is easier to do but you can ruin a 12k paint job in one winter.

Also do not forget a zipper door and work with your shrink wrap guy on where you want it placed. I found with a walk though transom it was best right above the swim ladder..

On our boat I do a custom vestibule using the davits so I can come and go easily..

Many ways to skin the cat but many ways to screw the pooch too.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook