SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Absolutely.

The armies of the world have one very difficult thing to asses of their officers during training: will he be brave and lead his troops on into battle? Or will he get scared and run away?

It's the same in captains license exams. How can they tell who is full of bravado and no common sense? Who is competent but panics? Who is dumb as a bum but in a stress situation comes out better than his exam marks suggest?

Oh, yes, the ticket means little. That's why forum people who call themselves Captain when they only have a basic ticket make me laugh. I know the USA is a different culture, but really, "Captain" because they have done a friggin night course behind a desk to let them hire a 30 foot beneteau at Moorings?
I confess I did not understand if you are kidding or if you are for real: You mean let's stop qualifying professionals because they are no better than unqualified ones? You mean only sea captains or all, doctors, engineers, architects and the lot... That is plain crazy.

Regarding the ticket as you call it, what I was talking about was this:

"That a highly qualified Captain is no more competent than an amateur sailor in what regards taking decisions in what regards the safety of a ship? I am not talking about miraculous exceptions, I am talking about reality."

A ticket for a Ship professional sea captain is not a night course, at least here

Do you really think what you have said about this or are you just kidding?

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-13-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook