SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Do you really think what you have said about this or are you just kidding?

Regards

Paulo
That's fine that you may think I am kidding. It is a weird concept. No I am not joking. One of the most difficult things to asses is how a person will perform under real life and death situations.

Because the military are confronted with it, with their leaders, the military have studied it and use methods to asses it that don't get done in other industries.

The only way you can determine if an officer will run or fight is to shoot at him. You can't do that in a class room situation. Nor can you with a ships captains course, or an amature skippers course.

The Army understands that the emotion fear is very important in a battle. It's not something that can be easily controlled. Isn't it weird that the place of " heros" understand about fear and teach it? Not so weird when you think about it.

The Army go to great lengths to asses how new officers will go under battle conditions... Sleep depravation on maneuvers, confronting the fear of death by parachuting, the Russians send officers off to some convenient "training" war.

But what do we do? Neither amature nor professional can or are assessed till they are already in command and at sea. Being second in command isn't the same.

So any amount of study, or qualifications, will not show what assessed time in command in extreme situations shows.

In this case, the Bounty, the interview showed a certain bravado: "we chase hurricanes"..... How does one know if its just bravado and when the first "real" one comes along all that bravado falls and deficiencies are shown.

I am not suggesting that is reality in this case. All I am pointing out is that training and qualifications do not show how a person will react in the moments or hours they have a mortal fear of their own death.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook