SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Come on what are you saying? That a highly qualified Captain is no more competent than an amateur sailor in what regards taking decisions in what regards the safety of a ship? I am not talking about miraculous exceptions, I am talking about reality.

Our civilization and culture has as base qualifications and specializations for everything that we do that requires knowledge.

Do you have as much confidence on the advise of a guy that has an interest in medicine than on the one that is of formal trained doctor?

Do you think that we should not qualify formally professionals because "Licenses and training and red tape often have little correlation with actual competence"?

Would you fell safe in knowing that the guy that is flying the commercial airplane where you are flying in is just an amateur with some experience?

Or that the stability calculations for the house where you live in (on a 20 store building) where not done by a professional engineer but by an amateur that has some experience?

Come on

Regards

Paulo
No one is saying that there shouldn't be training for different professions. It is just that the training does not at all guarantee that a person is competent. You can see it in every profession: engineering, teaching, emergency services, legal, etc. Some people are just not cut out to do certain jobs but they put the time in to get that "certificate." It fools other people into thinking they actually can do a certain job.

In some cases, such as teaching, ridiculous amounts of red tape, designed to support a HUGE bureaucracy keeps very competent people from entering the profession.

Last edited by smurphny; 11-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook