SailNet Community - View Single Post - jetty hopping:south texas coast
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012
22 footer

2belize&back is on a distinguished road
jetty hopping:south texas coast

barefoot sailing the texas waters offshore and along the icw,in the warm winter months was awsome,amongst the dolphins,herons,pink flamingoes and sea turtles. my first coastal run was @130 miles,from the port mansfield jetty(that has a beautilul anchorage just inside(whit a beach)to port isabel.heading out into the gulf,and the sail south was uneventful in light winds.things got interesting the next morning, waking up to a smooth rolling 6' swell,and the thick fog that rolled in with it.i could hear the surf,but not see it breaking on south padre island.once underway, useing the depth sounder to keep the boat in @30' of water and parallel to the beach,it was anxious moments waiting for the jetty to pop up out of the fog.it did,and the quick turn to port was made.now,the rocks as my guide,i went out,around the tip and into the channel,with boats errily fading in and out view.relaxation came, with the lifting of the fog. the second, @130 mile 3 day jaunt, was from the port aransas jetty to the matagorda ship channel.on the last day,the south winds had been steady all day. on my jetty approch,from a distance, the waters did not look too bad.the closer i got the bigger it got and in the mouth i was surfing down 8' to 10' almost breaking waves,working the tiller hard to keep the 22 footer straight.intense!i was amazed that no water came in the boat and it felt good to have even more confidence in what this little boat was capable of....2 b cont...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook