Juice containers - refundable
Milk cartons - refundable
Glass food containers
Plastic
Cardboard
Paper
Food cans
Plastic bottles
Leaves, pumpkins, Christmas trees (real)
A compostable trial project is underway
Electronics
Tires

I live in a condominium so I take my stuff to a recycle centre or a bottle depot for refunds. Others have a blue bin that city picks up.

I just got back from visiting Yuma and I am always struck by the complete lacking of any recycling. California just over the river does have programs.

Jack,

Right you are, sir. In fact, recycling on an individual homeowner basis is practically non-existant in the US as a whole. In larger cities it is much better, but even there it's nothing at all compared to recycling efforts in Canada, for instance.

It's not that people just don't like to recycle. It's darn near impossible from a practical point of view in most places. The infrastructure just isn't there.

To make something happen, you have to make it easier to comply than not to. For instance, in BC you have to recycle. Why? The recycling truck comes all the time. The garbage truck comes every two weeks. You will live among your garbage until you learn how to separate it correctly and put it out as recycling.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook