SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Cruising Community
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
The Cruising Community

You know, I have been doing this for a long time, and I am still amazed.

So, in St Pete, I think we know every one of the liveaboards. What a great community! We have dock partys without great reason. We help everyone, motorboat or not, into the slip. We have dinner every night at a different boat. The cruisers in the marina found out my wife was heading out on a trip this week, and all were offering dinners, help, you name it. I just got back from a couple (who never had kids) offering me, the kids and even Fatty to come over. What a great meal too. When I head up to the restroom in the morning, I leave early because everyone catches me on the way and conversations ensue that test my bladder. When Debby came over, we helped any boater out and they helped us. When we come in, the neighbors are running out to help with dock lines. Folks, that is what it is like here.

It isn't quite that way everywhere. I find St Pete a bit of the extreme. But everywhere I go, I am surrounded by people that care and want to be a part of a community. They want to help. They want to give more than their share. I am absolutely blessed with friends I know I can count on and ask for anything. I will throw them the keys to my car. They do the same. We check out with everyone before going to the store if a cruiser has wheels. We split things and often refuse payment. West Marine is a FULL vehicle affair.

The Cruising Community is awesome. Our best friends in the world are cruisers from over a decade ago. THe wife of my best friend just spent the night with us a few days ago. They are going to bring their kids and meet us in the Tortugas. We all get togehter and laugh and have a good time and celebrate birthdays. Sometimes we dont need a reason at all to get together. One person starts grilling and next thing you know, there is a dock party. A dock parth doesn't mean drinking. It is just a congreagation of folks that all start laughing and doing things as a group. We all share a common interenst and live and die by the sea.

The cruising community is a tight bunch. There are the oddballs, but they never show up anyways. How many of you that own homes really know all your neighbors? I lived in several neighborhoods, nice and not so. I have never known such a close niche where everyone is equal and watches out for the other. I know many will dissagree, and many will say how great their home communities are, but my experience is quite the opposite. THe docks remind me of what I remember as a kid: the partys, the laughter, the camraderie, the friendships. Everyone was just themselves. I wonder somehow if those days are gone in mainstream America?

It's a different life out here. FOr those considering making the plunge, I hope you will come. When you do, look us up if we don't catch you first. Have a drink. Have a coke. Just have a laugh and know you are with good friends.

And that... is The Cruising Community.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook