SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge pump non return valve.
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bilge pump non return valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
So, in your opinion, out the stern is the only suitable location for a bilge pump exit?

..or do you have some other system in mind??
No, I have seen perfectly suitable stern quarter outlets, bow and even side discharges with a center-line siphon break and a shut off seacock... I do prefer the stern though as do many builders who try and do it right..

Side discharges are my least favorite and I would personally avoid them at all costs on a sailboat. The proper installation of the siphon break gets difficult and can leave exposed hose visible in the cabin, to do a "safe" install for a side discharge..

Bilge pumps to me are not an "after thought" they can be a safety item and one that should be taken seriously. Having had a thru-hull fitting snap, another story for another day, I do take bilge pumps and proper installation techniques seriously.

My main objection is using a check valve to keep your vessel afloat. But I am not alone on this and the ABYC concurs.. My only beef is the use of check valves on a primary bilge pump when that pump is also a centrifugal/Rule type.

I have less issues with them on rotary vane or diaphragm pumps because they CAN open them where the centrifugal often won't...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook