SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted

Sorry for the late entry fee here but I have been off looking at animals in Kruger NP in South Africa before returning to the boat. A few comments:
- government fees can range from zero (Martinique, South Africa) to close to $1000 in places like Ecuador and Panama. Bahamas is $300 over 35' I think. It really varies and you have to check around. In some countries you must use an agent and that adds an extra $100 to $150 generally. In some countries you have to check out of and into each harbor, often at no extra cost, but it is a hassle.
- boat prices on the east coast are generally much cheaper than the west and the sailing south is easier plus you don't have to go to windward from Panama to get to the Eastern Caribbean
-my wife and I have cruised on an older (1982) 45' boat for not much more than $1000 a month excluding full insurance on the boat and marina costs when we have left the boat to go land cruising - generally when waiting for the local hurricane season to pass. We do not have health insurance and have spent very little on health care (<$200 in 4 years) - and we are older, but generally quite healthy
- I think you will be fine financially in particular since you would have emergency funds available if something happened like an unexpected major repair (after a serious grounding for example) or significant illness or needed operation
- I would expand the boats you are looking for. Have a friend with a Moody and it is a nice enough boat, but I think you can get more boat for less money. When considering the boat, you should consider whether you plan to stay in the Caribbean or coastal Mexico or whether you might want to head out across the Pacific or to Europe. In the latter case you might want a more substantial boat. This boat would likely not be quite as comfortable as one better suited for the Caribbean only. ie, there is a trade-off between ruggedness and comfort - unless you are prepared to spend much more money.