SailNet Community - View Single Post - Folding fabric satellite TV dish
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

Navigator Wannabe is on a distinguished road
Re: Folding fabric satellite TV dish

Ah, same same, but different.

Again, the shape of the dish is essential to reflect the signal such that it is CONCENTRATED in the receiver.
And that thing is going to be much harder to keep in shape than the radar reflector. That's why it might work on the moon, but not here. We have atmosphere, and wind.

Seriously, put your silver fabric on hot girl. That might be the best use of your overstock of silvery fabric, and free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
I had no idea sat TV dishes are so expensive, but then I dont even own a tv.
Of course looking at them on RVs and near boats gave me the idea of making them from the silver coated ripstop nylon. Unfold from a bag, pop it open, use the equitorial mount to align with N and the built in protractor to align azimuth and elevation.
When done, just fold it down again.
Whats the advantage? Not knowing anything about TV, I can sort of surmise that size equals signal strength and size is easy with this stuff.
On a boat or RV, you cant carry a big dish but with this you can.

Another way to do it would be to make the nylon airtight and put a rigid plastic cover over it (G10) and use about 1 psi air to inflate it (the nylon) to a near spherical shape. Use a longer focal length to get best approximation to a parabola.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 634x855.jpg (41.7 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook