SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-the-red View Post
Entry fees? Departure fees? Good lord, everyone needs a piece of you don't they?

So what are some low, high, avg entry fees you guys have paid?

Capt. Aaron, do they hassle you when you return to a place that charges a departure fee when you return, or do you just X that off your list of places you'll go in the future? I'm really starting to think I should follow you around for a few months!
I'm not suggesting you do this, but when I know I'm not coming back through a country like Belize, or Mexico for a year, I usually just leave. I've never in 20 years been asked how come I did'nt clear out last time , and never been asked by the next country where my exit stamp is from the last place I was. But you have 200,000 dollars in the bank, I've almost only had the cash in my pocket and it's never been more than a couple grand. I sailed down to mexico with 200 bucks in my pocket, cleared in, had 50 buck's left over, and stayed for 3 months taking Lonely planet Backpackers sailng in exchange for nights out and groceries, I only left because some Irish Dude payed me to give him a lift back to the states, When I got to Key west, I Bar backed for a year and saved enough to sail back to Mexico and open my own Bar. If your only half as resourcefull and a 1/4 as rugged as I'm guessing, your in great shape right now with out the % of this and that bullsh!t. And buy the boat out right, you want to own your boat. Look on Sailboatlistings.com-Florida, and keep it under 50 grand, I would'nt spend more than 30 G's on a westsail 30 something footer If I was you. Very forgiving boat for the learning curve of offshore passage making, wich you will be doing in the Carribean, it's not all lagoon sailing down here, you have to step off shore for a few day's here and there to get anywhere. Just my 2 cents and it's probably only worth a penny.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-14-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook