SailNet Community - View Single Post - Motoring while sailing ????
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Since this topic rose from the dead...

I was talking recently to a fellow with a very nice sailboat (brands are not important) who told me the boat won't sail with any speed till the winds hit 15 knots. And after 25 knots he doesn't like it's sailing characteristics. So he motors, or motor sails.

My boat is pretty quick in light air... and the only time I run the engine is to make a deadline if there's no wind. Otherwise I'll just hang around waiting for wind. I'm doing all the same stuff I would be doing at anchor anyway... why run the motor.

While his boat is much better appointed than mine on the interior, he was jealous of me sailing everywhere. We change out destinations or schedules based on the wind, and I'm totally ok with that. There's a few spots we haven't gotten too yet that we've tried because we don't have the wind, but we'll get there, without the motor.

I do get irrationally annoyed when I see sailboats motor around when there's good wind... but if it works out right, I try to change course to match and see if I can sail faster than them... partially to make a bit of fun of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook