SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Vendee Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Stamm is going to be one to watch, but I think Sam Davies will climb up in rankings as more miles are covered. She proved during the last VG that she can keep the boat moving fast without breaking too much.
What exactly happened to Burton, another collision?? I don't get that, considering AIS and radar??
Yes, that is sad:

La direction de course a reçu cette nuit à 3h10, heure locale, l’appel du bateau Bureau Vallée. Louis Burton signalait avoir percuté sur le flanc bâbord un chalutier a environ 400 Nm à l’ouest de Lisbonne position 38° 22N ; 18° 10W. Il était en veille dans le cockpit et son radar et AIS étaient allumés.

At the time Bureau Valley was about 400 Nm west of Lisbon. He was asleep in the cockpit with his AIS and radar both active. At the time he was making around 18kts with 32kts of SW’ly wind which was making visibility limited.

Burton quickly turned to a NE’ly, downwind course, securing the rig. He found a shroud damaged about 1.8m off the deck. The skipper is fine and is waiting for sunrise (around 0930hrs CET) to make a more complete assessment of the damage to the port shroud before making any decisions.

You know this only confirms what I thought about AIS as a tool to avoid boats: It is a good tool if you are going to cross an ocean where most boats have AIS but pretty worthless on coastal areas (at least here) where most boats you find are small fishing boats that have not AIS.

The first collision with Kito with a Portuguese fishing boat made almost mo way to the press here but it looks like that is not a trawler as reported but a traineira that is a much smaller boat normally a wooden one.

This last collision (with Burton) was more far away from the coast and I don't know more than what was said by the organization but I assume that it was probably a bigger fishing boat.

In what regards the race, well they are all in turbo speed and I have to say I don't understand how François with less wind than Vincent can be faster

Armel Le Cléac'h et Banque Populaire direction Sud por VendeeGlobeTV

Regarding Sam Davies it is a pity but she is racing with a 3th generation boat (2004) that can be considered slow compared with more modern boats. On the last race she had a comparatively better boat. Anyway, as you said it's strongest point is good seamanship, avoidance of risks and a very good overall performance. Probably she will make it to the end while many will retire from the race.

Sam Davies se protège des grains por VendeeGlobeTV

François Gabart et Macif passe le front por VendeeGlobeTV

regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook