SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Licenses and training and red tape often have little correlation with actual competence...

...Apparently you did not read/see the word "often" in my statement and yes, this occurs frequently, often, more than occasionally and quite frequently in some professions...
Oh, another one of these "you must have missed that one word" insults.

NO, I DID NOT miss the word "often." But I suggest that maybe you don't realize the importance of the word "correlation," which you appear to have used sloppily in your statement.

I do not deny that there are people who have certifications but lack the common sense and experience to be fully competent. But I claim that they are, by and large, statistical outliers. As I said, no correlation is 100% perfect - there will always be outliers. But those outliers do not destroy the correlation.

You said that certification and competence "often have little correlation." I insist that they are almost always correlated, but agree that there are outliers to that correlation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook