SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

And, perhaps most importantly, the failure to have large scale PAPER charts aboard... ?....skipper did not have the ability to spread out a large chart of the Abacos/NE Providence Channel on a table before him, otherwise a number of perfectly safe options would have become apparent to him at a glance..

Amazing to me, that one of the required items of the Caribbean 1500's Safety Inspection is not a compliment of paper charts .
Paper chart arguments abound, but please, you need to understand that what is easy and intuitive to you may not be for a modern generation.

I'm not denigrating your ability and/or preference to paper.

I have been using a computer for such a long time, decades, that I really find it difficult to write with a pen.
The same is with charts.... You might find it easy to lay it out, for me it's uncomfortable, I miss what I am looking for, its inaccurate, slow, and my mind just doesn't work that way anymore.

So what is apparent to you at a glance on paper is apparent to me at a glance on computer.

You've seen kids be able to text a message on their smart phone while still talking. Ask that kid to write that message out with a pen and still carry on a conversation. They can't.

Ask me to plot a l&l on a paper chart and I can do it but it takes me ages, but I can do it faster than you on any of my 3 plotters. In fact I can plot a route around the world in the time it would take some people to get a l&l onto a plotter.

Computers are here and have been for so long that its stupid to require an architect to design a house without CAD, it's stupid to ask a mechanic to diagnose your sports car without downloading from inboard computers, it's stupid to ask NASA to issue astronauts with slide rules. For the new generation of sailors paper charts are archaic.

Paper just isn't tactile to someone who never uses paper. But a computer with a mouse full of wheels and buttons is.

Mark

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-14-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook