SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Paper chart arguments abound, but please, you need to understand that what is easy and intuitive to you may not be for a modern generation.

I'm not denigrating your ability and/or preference to paper.

I have been using a computer for such a long time, decades, that I really find it difficult to write with a pen.
The same is with charts.... You might find it easy to lay it out, for me it's uncomfortable, I miss what I am looking for, its inaccurate, slow, and my mind just doesn't work that way anymore.

So what is apparent to you at a glance on paper is apparent to me at a glance on computer.

Mark
Mark, I passed from paper charts to plotter ten years ago and generally I agree with you but Jon is right about one thing: A plotter or a computer have a small image and you cannot get a global good reading because the global image would be too small. A chart is big and you would only have the same legibility if you had a screen with that size and you don't.

So, for what he is saying, for looking to another options that are at some distance a paper chart offers big advantages and I use them for that and also to prepare the voyage and go tho the plotter to details and to actually do what was planned on a paper chart (if the distances are not really small).

There is another point that can be very dangerous with the plotter: You are used to get very reliable information on the plotter regarding the boat position in relation to the chart. That is like that most of the time but sometimes it is not so and if you are used to have a blind confidence on the electronics you can be done. It happened to me on the last years at least 2 times, on the med where the cartographic information is very reliable. I imagine that in more remote zone the errors can be much more frequent.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook