SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going to look at a Watkins 27.....
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Going to look at a Watkins 27.....

...later this week. Been listed by a yard for quite some time. Pix show on the hard; but fella sez it's in the water now and he wants to sell before he hasta pull out and store/winter. From the ad;

"1980 Watkins 27

Great boat allmost brand new beta diesel motor that runs perfect. sails are in good condition. all rigging is present and in good working order. decks are starting to soften on the bow but at this price You cant lose. "

When I called to inquire on availability, he mentioned that the Beta is a recent rebuild. The fore deck has 'usual' problems and it needs a dose of TLC

Boatyard/dealer is asking $4500. What, in your opinion, is the boat worth; sight unseen (other than scant pix)? Starting counteroffer at a low-ball 2500..or simply start at his asking and discount for each "problem" as discovered??

Any model specific items to look for" I'm aware of the deck leaks, spongy deck/overhead, etc commonly found in this mfgrs offerings? I have no point of reference as to just how much TLC would be acceptable. I go in figuring to replace most/all running rigging, servicing engine and perhaps even repairs to woodwork. I can always do sail wash/restore next season or so.

I'm looking to only have to move it mebbe 15 NM to home port;so as long as the motor holds out that long....

Also seeking (better) detailed pix of salon, cockpit and rigging. The few found across the 'net leave a bit to be desired. Looked at WOG and Sailingtexas; but they're far and few between.

TIA,
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook