SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

You should know how to use both and rely on neither. During passage we always have our paper charts spread out on the Nav Station, and plot out position every 1/2 hour. After all the elctrontics can fail. I understand the ease the plotter is now a days to most ( I have a c90w) and also an I Pad. I also have ease using the charts as thats how I learned. My wife it has been easier to teacher her the chart by using the IPAD or plotter first.

As far as Rule 62, I never heard on of the causes was not that he didnt have charts laid out on the table.

Jon,
He CHOSE to come in to shallow water where he did and he didnt have to. He could have stayed put in deep water. Hove to and gone nowhere.. an taken his lumps like everyone else did.

IMHO He like the Captain of the Bounty placed his ship in jeopardy when he had a safer choice.

One of my lessons for me from this is that the Captain has the responsibility to do the safest thing and that sometimes the prerssures and pleadings of the crew concerning their comfort level must be ignored to maintain that safety. They were never in immediate danger until he placed them there by his actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook