SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
No right or wrong. We could probably give it all up and make do from here out. However, our kids would pay too. We are fortunate enough to fund their (very expensive) educations and other things they can't do for themselves yet. If we keep going (and make it), we will have a very comfortable retirement. I get the thought of potentially dropping dead and missing out. That's a risk for sure.

However, we spend as much time aboard for 7 months as humanly possible and will try to get a week or two in the Caribbean this winter. This only works because we are working. In the end, we spend probably 90 days aboard each year, while working. Its pretty close.

If the plan works, we'll retire at 60 and spend 6 straight months aboard each year and 6 ashore doing day sails. If our health holds out, that should be good for the rest of our lives, or until we're physically unable to sail.

For me, I'm still shooting for that, rather than blow it all now. Just me.
This is a sound approach for me or us (me and wifey). We finished paying the kids college and getting them their cars, they both landed on a great career job right after their graduation. I thought we were done until my daughter decided to go to the med school this year, so now we have 4 more years to go before I am free.

I don't know if I can sail or stay in paradise non-stop for years and years. I will get bored on the boat. Both my wife and I have a good career and enjoy our work. I think sailing 70% and work 30% will be a good compromise. Therefore, whenever or wherever I want to come home, I will just haul out the boat and fly home to work for a few months and then go back to sailing. I guess I can do this until I die.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook